- Set cost center/dimension mechanism in Company Setup.
- Set default dimensions for relevant Items.
- Assign documents (Journal Entries, Payments) to a particular dimension.
- Submit Sales invoices using items assigned to dimensions.
- Enter purchase invoices using items connected to a dimension.
- Report a balance on a specific dimension; view all documents assigned to a dimension.
- Profit and loss statements can be selected for the dimension, also, over several years if needed.
Supplier Invoice usage
- For stock items, the costs for the dimension is first taken during delivery (direct invoice).
- When you do your delivery (or direct invoice) the delivery will result in the stock being taken from inventory and placed on the costs account.
- If the dimension is chosen when creating the delivery (or direct invoice) the costs is also placed on the dimension. This can be seen by looking at the gl transaction.
- The sales part for the dimension is first taken when invoicing.
Non profits example
- Let each of your funds be a Dimension 1.
- If you need projects, they can be Dimension 2 of the fund (for instance a specific grant to track in your Temporarily Restricted fund)
- Ignore the date fields, and if you ever need to close, merge, or otherwise use up a fund, dimensions can be closed without being deleted.